View Posts
MatterHackers Forum
This forum has been set to read-only for archival purposes. Please visit our Community Forum to ask and participate in active discussions.
Remove Post
How come the laywoo Filament doesn't come on a spool?
by murph

I recently purchased the laywoo Filament (https://www.matterhackers.com/store/3d-printer-filament/175mm-wood-filament-light-cherry-0.25-kg) but to my frustration it isn't spooled. Every print I try the Filament gets tangled and snaps (unless I sit there and baby sit it, but for 7 hour prints this is not ideal). I haven't ever had this issue with any other filament. Is there a reason it was shipped this way? Any one have any tips to stop it from jamming up? I'm thinking about waiting for spool of plastic to get used up and then manually winding the wood unto the emtpy spool. Thoughts?

murph - March 29th, 2014 at 3:18p.m.

Agree. The laywood and laybrick being unspooled is annoying. My guess is that the laybrick is too brittle to spool and the laywood is too rigid.

I tried respooling on an empty spool like you suggest and that worked pretty well but was a pain to do. At the end of the day I ended up buying a lazy susan for it to sit on - that mostly prevent tangles.

mhaverson73 - April 2nd, 2014 at 4:05p.m.