View Posts
MatterHackers Forum
This forum has been set to read-only for archival purposes. Please visit our Community Forum to ask and participate in active discussions.
Suggestion for MatterSlice regarding first layer
by >dapoofyhairdude

Hey guys. Just started using MC and MatterSlice. May I suggest that, along with adjusting the 1st layer print speed, you also either add an option do adjust 1st layer movement speed (non-print), or use the same parameter to slow down the 1st layer movement? I find that my extruder is pulling prints off the plate because the non-print movements are still at full speed.

dapoofyhairdude - May 23rd, 2014 at 2:56p.m.

happens especially on corners or with parts of the print that are single width

dapoofyhairdude - May 23rd, 2014 at 3:01p.m.

@dapoofyhairdude
Are you printing with print leveling enabled. I find that when I have a good first layer height (1/2 the Nozzle Diameter) and a really good bed level and 0 set (print leveled) that the pull up of corners is much reduced and that the high movement speed is actually very useful to avoid the extruder loosing pressure between lines.

LarsBrubaker [Moderator] - May 23rd, 2014 at 3:37p.m.

Don't have print enabling, but my bed level is pretty solid. My layer height is actually nozzle diameter at the moment, with first z height lower than that to make sure I get a good amount of plastic on the plate.

When you say loosing pressure, do you mean inside the extruder? On the bowden (I have direct feed)? Between extruded lines?

dapoofyhairdude - May 23rd, 2014 at 6:26p.m.

I just mean when the extruder is not printing the plastic in it is still expanding and oozing out. I recommend you give the print leveling a chance.

LarsBrubaker [Moderator] - May 27th, 2014 at 11:26a.m.